The earliest chapel on this location in Arles dates back to 1686. It is believe that this church was replaced in 1795 and this structure remained standing until the present church was built in 1868. It is a fine example of cut limestone which was sourced from the locality and finished by local craftsmen. Such a marvellous undertaking was part funded by the Grace family of Gracefield. The Grace family had strong links with the church as it was the burial site for their family members. The Grace Mausoleum is still standing to this day in the church graveyard and remains the final resting place for members of the Grace family.
The church was re-roofed in 1965 at a cost of £16,500 under the guidance of architect Michael Crowe. More works were to follow in 1992 when the sanctuary area was re-ordered, along with new heating and amplification installed. A Blessed Sacrament room was added to the church during these developments as well.
In preparation for the Sesquicentennial Anniversary in 2018 the church was reordered once more. The sanctuary area was restored to its original layout with the tabernacle returned to a newly constructed high altar. A new marble ambo and presidential chair completed the finished look in the sanctuary. The statue of the Sacred Heart was located in the main aisle and a new altar to St. Anthony was established to the rear of the church. An icon to the Sacred Heart was commissioned to mark the anniversary and the entrance of the church was upgraded to accompany the freshly painted interior and new sound system. The surrounding grounds was replanted and a new colour palate enriches the fabric and ambience of the church grounds.
A panoramic view from the rear of the church enjoys an unspoilt view of neighbouring counties and the Wicklow and Leinster mountains.